The research done
The user research was initially conducted on site via an exit survey on the flights confirmation screen investigating how Jet2 could improve the experience of buying ancillaries.
Collating and grouping the survey feedback, I saw 2 distinct patterns with the responses:
- Users wanted a way to be able to add multiple items at once
- The users that wanted the ability to do this primarily fell into one of 2 company personas – ‘The working mum’ and ‘The friendly millennials”
Next up, I ran a focus group for a select group of respondents to start validating some of the assumptions we were making around the product offering and to get a more refined idea around the direction of the new product offering.
To do this I ran a screener questionnaire to ensure users fell into one of the two primary personas we were now targeting and that they were available to attend on the elected date.
Following the focus group I had validated that users were actually looking for a discount for adding multiple products and wanted an easy way to be able to add all the products into their basket at once.
Stakeholder workshop – User journey mapping
I ran a stakeholder workshop mapping out the existing journey and then looking at the various places bundles could be placed and what impact it would have to the user journey at each stage. From this we decided that advertising bundles on the flight selection page was the best placement, with the least interruption to the end users .
Design workshop – Crazy 8’s
I ran a design workshop with the stakeholders sketching out quick ideas in a 5 minute timeframe, then presenting back and iterating / repeating. Once all ideas were exhausted we voted on the top 3 ideas using voting stickers and I took them away to design them in higher fidelity.
Low fidelity designs & Usability testing
I took the 3 best ideas from the crazy 8 session’s and created wireframes from them, presenting them back to the stakeholders daily to gain feedback and to allow me to iterate quickly.
Once all wireframes were complete I then took them to usability testing to validate the user flows plus some assumptions and design decisions we’d made along the way. We also used this as an opportunity to further on board stakeholders by inviting them into the sessions to watch the users using the wireframes and seeing how their frustrations with some of the designs.
High fidelity designs
Following the usability testing, we’d not only come out with a clear winner on design, but I’d also on-boarded the stakeholders with the design direction.
This was then the design I took through into high fidelity and prepared for development.